Equitrekking’s Holiday Wish List 2012- 10 Great Gift Ideas
Would you like a peak at Equitrekking's wish list this holiday season? Check out these great gift ideas for the rider, horse, and horse lover, straight from Equitrekking’s Caroline Maffry's shopping bag! Her ideas may inspire holiday shopping and giving.
by Caroline Maffry
1. You may be a seasoned equestrian but if you have a friend or family member that you have always wanted to share your passion with, the gift of riding lessons can last a lifetime. Do some local research for the best facility in your area. Even the top equestrians in the sport have trainers, so get a package of lessons for yourself too!
2. If you are a horse owner like me, you know that your horse at some time or another will decide to rip his blanket. Give your horse a new sheet, stable blanket, or turnout blanket for the holidays! Don't have a horse or feel like donating to a local stable? Ask at your barn or go online to others to see what is needed. Many stables and horse rescues ask for donations during the holiday season for their horses. It's a feel good gift!
3. A lot of the Equitrekking crew, including me and my daughter, wear ARIAT apparel, a great gift for riders or folks looking for city equestrian style and a proud sponsor that helps keep the Equitrekking series on PBS! From show jumping attire to western gear, they have boots, chaps and apparel to please those with an English or Western style flair.
4. What winter wonderland is complete without a sleigh ride? In the New England area, Gentle Giants offers scenic and romantic rides in snowy Vermont. Hop aboard a one or two horse (open) Santa style sleigh with a curly dash or try a ride in a new candy apple red Santa 11 passenger sleigh with green velvet seats. A treat for the whole family and great for photo opps. Not in New England? Check out local riding stables and ranches to find other places to horse ride or sleigh in the snow and dude ranch vacations for the holidays.
5. Did you know that your helmet eventually stretches out and can become too loose on your head over time? Did you also know that your helmet should be replaced after a fall? A brand new helmet will provide style and safety while riding and is a great idea for a holiday gift for you or a friend or family member. Safety first while riding!
6. Shopping for antiques can be a lot of fun. Shopping for horsey antiques... even better. Our longtime Twitter friend and collector Dexter Grass has The Old Grey Mare, an online antiques store where she sells a multitude of equestrian pieces that are truly special and unique. Antique brass Edwardian Arabian horse bookends, vintage Western brooch pins, and one-of-a-kind trotting horse cuff links are just some of the interesting finds in this store.
7. Jewelry is always a winner for a holiday gift, especially to inspire romance. Our friends at Pinklette, featured in Oprah Magazine, have a variety of cool equestrian and preppy jewelry and accessories. During this holiday season, Pinklette is getting in the giving spirit by donating gift certificates to Equitrekking fans. Find out how you can enter for the chance to win.
8. Experiences are always on our holiday wish list. Why not take in a play and a horsey one at that! Winner of five Tony Awards, including Best Play, War Horse is a remarkable tale of courage, loyalty and friendship between and boy and his horse. It's currently touring the United States, so you can see the stage production.
9. An ultimate gift for the holidays that can be taken anytime during the year is a riding vacation or taking a horse ride while on a vacation. We've been scoping out and cataloging the best holiday deals, last minute discounts and year round specials at ranches and riding resorts to help make your dream riding vacation a budget-friendly reality. Check out Equitrekking Travel Deals, the Equitrekking Vacation Guide, Top20Ranches.com and EquitrekkingTravel.com to find your dream trip.
10. Whether you're reading them on a kindle, nook or you're buying an old-fashioned hard copy, books are always a great holiday gift, especially if you can pinpoint a theme that will mean something to the recipient. Maybe you're buying for someone who dreams of riding in Iceland, loves horses and cooking, is looking to learn more about a specific training method, like Straightness Training, or equestrian discipline or a book to introduce kids to horses. There are lots of choices for books that can leave a lasting impression.
We hope these ideas have gotten you thinking about what to give this holiday season. Check out last year's Equitrekking Gift Guide for more ideas. Happy holidays!